Everyone wants to live long and in good health. And we all know that to achieve that dream, we need to complete those 8 to 9 hours of sleep every night, amongst other things. However, most of us don’t know that good quality sleep and a good quality mattress go hand in hand.
Almost every mattress brand in India has embraced e-commerce as it expands globally to reach a wider audience. While many individuals have already started using e-commerce or online buying platforms, some still do things old-fashioned.
Mattresses are generally one-time investments and come at a higher price than other products. Also, our sleep quality depends on mattress quality; therefore, online mattress shopping is still a cliche topic for many. However, buying a mattress online is equally easy and safe as buying it from physical shops as well as it has added benefits compared to shopping from physical stores.
So, for those who are in a dilemma about whether to buy a mattress online or not and how to do it without struggle, we have come up with complete guidelines about online mattress shopping.
Things to Consider a before buying mattress
Before we move forward, let’s look at some basic pointers one must consider before buying a mattress online.
1. Body requirement
We buy a mattress to provide comfort to our bodies while sleeping. You need to consider what kind of mattress material suits your body, along with its firmness, size, and support level.
2. Health issues
mattress plays a vital role in increasing and reducing health issues such as orthopedic problems, allergies, or other illnesses. Consider whether the mattress material or its firmness is not problem-enhancing for you before buying one.
3. Sleeping Position
Everyone sleeps in different positions, and the mattress provides different levels of pressure and comfort in each position. Therefore it is vital to determine your sleeping position and then select a mattress accordingly.
4. Mattress material
There is a wide range of mattress materials available such as foam, latex, coil, down-feathers, and SmartGRID. When you buy mattress online, make sure you know and understand all the pros and cons of these materials
5. Size of mattress
Mattresses come in different sizes, such as standard, single, double, king-size and queen-size, to customize according to your preference. Select the one that will suit the bed frame, room size, whether you sleep with a partner or alone, etc.
6. The firmness of the mattress
Select mattress firmness level depending on your body weight, sleeping position, pain, or other personal requirements.
Ensure to buy a mattress online that will provide you adequate support for all body parts and their curvature, contrary to any sleeping position.
When should your mattress be replaced?
Before moving ahead with elaborated guidelines to buy mattresses online, understand why and when you need to change your mattress.
It is Old
Since mattresses also come with limited life periods, they perish in a few years and must be changed. The average life of any mattress runs between 8 to 10 years. If you are using a mattress beyond its lifespan, then it’s time to change it.
Mattresses soften with time as a result of the excessive pressure exerted by the sleeper’s body every night. The increasing softness of the mattress leads to sagging and uneven comfort and support to the body. If you feel unevenness in the mattress despite changing positions, then buy a new mattress.
There could be several reasons that your mattress gets damaged. Too much weight, kids jumping on it or pets tearing off the upper layer of the mattress are some of the reasons a mattress can get damaged. Also, over the period spring and coil of the mattress breaks down and lurk out of it. If you find your mattress damaged, then make sure to change it before it causes any injury.
Causing body aches
If sleeping on a mattress gives you back pain or other pains, such as the neck and shoulder, then the mattress is not right for you. If a mattress is enhancing your chronic orthopedic issues, then change your mattress that provides adequate support and relieves pressure from your joints.
Other health issues
If you have chest tightness, throat or lung infections, or respiratory difficulties, it might be due to your mattress. Sometimes, mattress material has toxic chemicals, which can result in various health issues. It’s a sign that you need a new mattress.
Not enough space
While sleeping, you need a space to move easily and relax your body without feeling cramped up. If you feel that you do not have enough space, a mattress is smaller than your height, or all people are sleeping together, you need to replace your old mattress. No matter the reason, change your mattress if it fails to provide you with the comfort and support your body requires to get quality sleep for an extended period.
The benefit of buying mattress online
Turning to e-commerce websites was a smart move made by sellers due to plenty of benefits. However, it’s not one-sided, as it gives numerous advantages to buyers also. Let’s analyze a few of them.
- From anywhere, anytime- Online shopping for a mattress has the biggest perk; it’s a time saver. It saves you from rushing from shop to shop and spending extra hours which you can use for relaxation or other reasons. Also, to buy a mattress online, the only requirement is a mobile or laptop and an internet connection, and you can shop 24*7 and at your convenience location such as home, office, car or bus.
- Available for trials- Buying a mattress online rather than offline gives this added benefit as many exclusive brands offer sleep trials of a few days rather than minutes. These trials actually give you a clear idea of whether the respective mattress is the one you need or not. Also, they have good return policies if you don’t find a mattress good for your preferences with easy terms and conditions.
- In your budget- When you buy a mattress online, you save a good amount of money due to the reduced cost of the product and different offers provided by mattress brands in India and e-commerce websites.
- Free delivery and Other offers- In order to reach larger crowds and remain on top of the competition, almost all mattress brands give various offers like free home delivery, discounts, offers and easy payment mode options.
Tips for buying mattress online
As we clear concerns about the advantages of buying online and why we need to change mattresses, let’s dive deeper into pointers we need to consider and steps to follow while shopping for a mattress online.
1. Check Your Body Requirements
We use the mattress to get comfortable and ultimately achieve the goal of quality sleep and healthy life. Therefore, you need to consider your body’s needs before buying a mattress. Every person has different needs, and for that, they must use a particular mattress, Such as
A person generally sleeps in three positions: back, stomach and side, and some keep changing positions according to their mood. And every position creates different pressure points on different body parts, which requires additional firmness and support.
- Back sleepers: Back sleepers put pressure on their lumbar region. A soft mattress causes them to sink in the mattress and strain the lower back, while a firm mattress does not support the curvature of the spine. Thus, select a mattress with adequate firmness to avoid problems.
- Stomach sleepers: Stomach sleepers also put pressure on their lumbar region by sleeping in an inverted position. A firm mattress is the best option for them to avoid breathlessness while sleeping face down and avoid sinking in.
- Side sleepers: Side sleepers put too much pressure on points like shoulders and hips. Sleeping on a firm mattress increases the pressure, while a soft mattress makes the body parts dip resulting in damaged spinal alignment. Side sleepers better use a medium soft or medium firm mattress to avoid any issues.
- Combination sleeper: Combination sleepers are prone to change their sides through the night. Thus, selecting a mattress that suits all positions is better for them.
Existing health issues
The main priority in life is health. If your health is not good, then nothing matters. Just like any other thing, a mattress also makes a big impact on your health. All things about mattresses, such as quality, material, firmness and size, create different effects depending on your existing health conditions. The wrong mattress can trigger existing health issues like body pain, back pain, or respiratory disorders. Therefore, considering these issues while buying a mattress online is mandatory.
Therefore, before buying a mattress online, you need to consider your current health conditions. Such as,
- Body pain: If you are suffering from body pain due to constant driving, excessive labor or other health issues, then search for a mattress that reduces your body pain and does not enhance it.
- Orthopedic disorders: Consider whether you have any orthopedic problems such as lower back pain, upper body pain or problems like sciatica and hamstring injuries. Go for special orthopedic mattresses if you are suffering from any orthopedic problems.
- Allergies: Sometimes, your skin reacts oddly after coming in contact with certain materials or chemicals, or you might start feeling throat irritations or chest tightening when you sleep on a mattress. Find out the reasons behind your allergies, and ensure to buy a mattress that does not have those components in it.
- Pregnant: If you or your partner is pregnant, consider all associated problems. Buy a mattress that does not create toxic reactions or enhance back pain during pregnancy. Also, select mattress firmness with the thought of not creating any pressure on body parts while sleeping.
- Infants or babies: If you have a child in the house, it becomes a priority to keep everything hygienic, non-toxic and healthy, as they are more prone to get affected. Mattresses are not different from it. So go for a mattress that provides comfort and a healthy sleeping environment for your baby
The sleeper’s body weight decides how firm a mattress is required to avoid sinking deeper or not enough. Also, the number of sleepers on one mattress is a point of consideration.
- Heavyweight: If you weigh more than the average person or recline towards the heavyweight category, then using a soft mattress is not feasible. Soft or medium-soft mattresses cause them to sink in deep, especially at heavy body parts. Using a mattress with extra firmness or with adequate firmness is suggested.
- Lightweight: If you are a slimmer or lightweight person, then go for a soft mattress to a medium firm mattress. It provides the necessary support and doesn’t create pressure on your body.
2. Different Types of Mattress material
After determining your body requirements, the next step is to decide on mattress material. More than a few mattress materials with similar or different features and advantages are available in the market. However, not every material is suitable for your body. Therefore, decide which one is better for you all.
Recently invented Patented Japanese technology, SmartGRID mattresses have hyper-elastic and food-grade polymers that provide adequate comfort and support to all body parts by adapting natural curves.
Mattresses made with foam material are comfortable due to their soft and sinking under-body weight features. There several types of foam material mattresses are available in the market, such as memory foam, HR foam, coir and foam, cool gel foam, rebonded foam and PU foam.
Down feather mattresses are good thermal insulators and provide soft padding to body joints, further relieving pressure.
Spring or coil mattresses have extra bounce and softness. In these mattresses, fabric covers metal springs.
Hybrid mattresses use the best features of different materials together to provide support and comfort. These mattresses have a combination of metal core for support along with foam, latex or polyfoam for comfort.
Latex mattresses are either made with synthetic latex from petrochemicals or natural latex from rubber trees. Latex mattresses are famous for their durability, eco-friendliness and adaptability to body curves.
3. Choose the Size of Mattress
Mattresses come in different sizes to fit your room and bed frame, along with the number of people sleeping on them, such as single, with partner or kids, and pets.
Mattress sizes come in two different patterns one is standard, and another is customized. Almost all mattress brands in India have standard mattresses categorized in several measures, such as single, twin, double, king, queen and California king, with the exact dimensions or slightly different to maintain their authenticity. Apart from standard-size mattresses, you can get customized mattress sizes as per your preferences.
|Mattress size||Dimensions||Best for|
– Single adults
|Twin||75”*38”||– Taller teenagers
– Taller single adults
|Twin (XL)||80”*38”||– Single adults
– Healthy people
|Double||75”*54”||– Single adults
– Healthy people
– More than one children
– Single adult who wants extra space
|King||80”*76”||– Couple who want extra space
– Single adult who share their bed with child, or pets
|California||84”*72”||– Couples with height
– Couples who sleep with children, or pet
4. Check the Required Firmness
Just like mattress size, the firmness of the mattress is also vital for getting adequate sleep without any body pain or health issues.
From extra soft to extra firm, mattresses are divided on the standard scale of 1 to 10 with increasing firmness which almost every mattress brand in India follows.
|Firmness||On scale of 1-10||Best for|
|Extra soft||1-2||– Side sleepers
– Light weight people
|Soft||3-4||– Side sleepers
– medium weight people
|Medium firm||5-6||– Medium weight side sleepers
– Stomach sleepers
|Firm||7-8||– Back or stomach sleepers
– Person with orthopedic issues
|Extra Firm||9-10||– Back sleepers
– With chronic orthopedic issues
Our body has a natural curvature and requires adequate support on each part to maintain that alignment. Also, when you sleep in different positions or have specific health issues, you need a mattress to provide support in varying quantities. Such as for side sleepers, a mattress needs to provide support below bigger body parts while needing to be soft and comfortable beneath the neck, hips and shoulder to reduce any pressure on them.
If you follow the points mentioned above without hesitation, online shopping for mattresses becomes a piece of cake.
However, considering the increased number of mattress brands in India and buyers’ trust factor, here are some brownie points that we would like to explain to you.
Our every desire to shop depends on one thing, and that is budget. People invest a fortune in mattress shopping and tend to use it for longer. With so many variants of mattresses and increased competition amongst mattress brands in India, the cost of mattresses varies from high to low range.
Many factors affect the cost of mattresses, such as
- Online or offline
Mattress Brands Policies
When you are buying online, the trust factor becomes prominent. Therefore checking the policies of mattress brands in India and the e-commerce websites you are buying from turns out to be crucial. There are several factors you need to check while going through brand policies, such as,
- Return policy
- Product Warranty
- Term & condition
- Payment modes
- Delivery options
- Delivery duration
Mattress shopping in India had become much more accessible than before as brands began selling online and offline. Also, many shoppers are turning towards e-commerce websites and online stores due to various advantages. However, to avoid any issues with mattresses, make sure that you consider all points mentioned above. After all, it’s a matter of money, sleep and most importantly, your health.
6 Tips for Romantic and Restful Valentine’s Night Sleep
September 18, 2023
What is a Hypoallergenic Mattress?
September 18, 2023
Get a Good Night’s Sleep with These Popular Mattress Types in 2023!
September 18, 2023
The Ultimate Guide to the Right Orthopedic Mattress for You
September 18, 2023
Are Adjustable Beds More Comfortable?
September 18, 2023